Dreams has a lot of great user experiences to play/watch/listen to, but that’s only half the game. Where Media Molecule’s PS4 exclusive gets really crazy is with its versatile Create mode, allowing users to create more or less what they want. While the toolset was fantastic at launch, there’s always room for improvement, and that’s the focus of the latest Dreams patch, 2.44. It’s only 105MB, but it’s got plenty for creators.
With this update, which by the way is available now, Create mode receives all sorts of useful improvements and brand new features. A square opaque paint stain has been added which contrasts sharply with the more abstract organic stain shapes. This will allow creators to create super smooth surfaces, crisp pixel art, and more. Other new features include a Time and Date gadget, a large calculator that lets you enter lots of values into a handy gadget, and the ability to switch between IK and FK animations, the latter essentially chaining connected objects. An example given is a character waving his hand; switching to FK will make the animation smoother by also animating the arm rather than the hand, saving you time animating all the individual parts the way you want.
If you couldn’t tell by now, this update gets pretty cheesy pretty quickly, but let’s go over a few more points. The standard Calculator gadget now offers many more math functions. The Sun & Sky gadget now has an input and an output on the position of the sun. You can now greatly reduce the textured appearance type of sculpts so that they appear much smoother. New filters allow you to adjust your scene for various forms of color blindness. Finally, a new toggle lets you make changes to a sculpt you’ve cloned and have those changes appear on all other clones.
There’s a lot for the creators of Dreams to unpack here, so below we’ve outlined the full patch notes:
New and improved gadgets!
- NEW time and date gadget [Sensors & Input] – Detect current time and date IRL, you say? Why certainly! Combine it with the new Sun and Sky gadget settings to set the position of the sun in your designs! For more information, see the edit mode guide.
- IMPROVED Sun and Sky Gadget [Cameras & Lighting] – A new settings page to allow you to control the position of the sun with the new Time and Date gadget.
- NEW Wide Calculator Gadget [Logic & Processing] – Need to do calculations with more than two values? Now you can! This baby can have up to 10 entries! For more information, see the edit mode guide.
- IMPROVED Calculator Gadget [Logic & Processing] – We have added heaps new calculator operations, including two whole new pages with trigonometric and vector operations!
New and improved tools!
- NEW cooking tool issued [Assembly/Tools] – Issued items are temporary, right? No more! This new tool takes emitted objects and embeds them into your scene, making them permanent! Read more in the edit mode guide entry.
- IMPROVED Adjust detail tool [Assembly/Tools] – Do you know the Sculpture Detail tool? Well, it was renamed. Why? Because now it also works on paints, reducing the number of stains to save heat! Read more in the edit mode guide entry.
- IMPROVED clone tool [Assembly/Tools] – Two improvements!
- Wanted a live clone but forgot to enable live clone? We have you! Use + on a clone to make it live afterwards!
- Do you find the visuals of Live Clone a little too much? Use the new toggle in the context menu to turn them on/off!
- IMPROVED microphone recording synchronization on timelines [Animate/Mic; Sound/Sound Recorder] – Tired of manually re-syncing the audio you recorded for your creations? Those days are over! Dab a mic on your audio or animation timeline, record your audio and it will sync with your music/animation timeline! There’s even a countdown!
New and improved tweaks!
Equipped with a clutch new audio settings for sound objects…
- NEW subsampler setting – [Distortion page] This new type of distortion gives you a delicious lo-fi effect like an old school video game or sci-fi movie. Yum.
- NEW Legato Tweak [Pitch page] – Do you like legato? Previously you could only do this while playing, but now you can apply it to existing sounds!
- NEW transpose setting [Pitch page] – Want a higher quality transposition than the Coarse and Fine settings? This literally selects the upper/lower notes from the Sample Library, as if you had manually moved the notes around in the Piano Roll!
- NEW Octave Jitter Tweak [Granular Randomisation page] – Randomize octave shifts for thick and cloudy textures.
- NEW entry/exit values shown on adjustments [Input/output tweaks] – You used number displays to know exactly what goes in and out of the settings? Never again! In/Out adjustments now show the values going to/from them in adjustment menus!
- NEW Luma Noise Tweak [Outer Properties page on sculptures] – Enable/disable the built-in color variation of a sculpt’s spots, making them look smoother and more uniform. If that’s your jam.
- NEW Camera Lock Mode [Collision Labels page on sculptures] – Is the blocking of the camera depressing you? You can now choose a mode to control how a sculpture blocks the 3rd person camera – Dynamic, Never and Always.
- NEW Minimum size in the scene [Settings page on Text/Dialogue Text/Number Displayer] – Set a minimum size for text set to In Scene, so that no matter the distance from the camera, your text won’t be too small to read.
- NEW Convert to Paint [Context Menu] – Want to know what this beautiful sculpture would look like as a painting? Select it and press Convert to Paint. Ta-daaah!
- NEW Convert to FK/Convert to IK [Context Menu] – You made an FK() animation and I wish it was IK()? Or maybe the reverse? Select it and press Convert to IK or Convert to FK. Fact!
- NEW Square Opaque Fleck [Paint Mode] – For the first time in the history of Dreams (Dreamstory? Maybe not…) there is a NEW FLECK! We to know! It is a clean, neat and opaque square! No more blurry water!
- NEW color blindness filters [Show/Hide Menu] – Many people have some form of color vision deficiency, and gaming can be very frustrating for them. These new Show/Hide filters allow you to preview how your creations will look for people with different forms of color blindness. You can even adjust the gravity! Try them out and make your designs more inclusive. Read more in the edit mode guide entry.
Other improvements and bug fixes
- IMPROVED animation/keyframes of more gadgets
- Many more gadgets will now be recorded if you interact with them while using an action recorder or keyframe.
- FIXED Variable Range
- We’ve added two fixes to the Scope setting on comment-based variables. The scope will now be ignored if a variable is set to Persist in Dream; and the Range adjustment will not be grayed out on a variable modifier set to Get.
Will you be experimenting with all of these Create mode changes in Dreams? Tell us in the comments section below.